1. Consolidated Keystone Mine
Founded in 1853 from a consolidation of two or more small claims. It reached a depth of 2,680 feet and produced about $24 million in gold. Keystone’s early years were plagued with production and ownership problems; luckily, a rich new vein was discovered in 1866, enabling the mine to yield a monthly gold production average of $40,000, making the Keystone one of the most lucrative California mines. The Keystone mine was closed in 1942 when the government closed all operations that did not pertain to the war effort.
2. Schaffer’s Diggins
No recorded history. One of the most photographed buildings in town.
3. Fleehart Building
Probably Amador City’s oldest building, dating from the 1860s or earlier. William Fleehart was an early day mine owner, merchant and Wells Fargo agent. It may also have been an early Keystone company store. The Fleehart was the only store building to survive the big fire of 1878. The building has since been donated to the city and houses the Amador Whitney Museum.
4. Kling Building
Kling’s saloon burned down in the June 1878 fire. The present brick building, completed in January 1878, housed George Kling’s saloon on the south side and Hewitt and Hammack’s dry goods and grocery on the north side. The north side later housed a justice of the peace, a cobbler’s shop and an assay office. At one time the front bricks were removed so that it would be wide enough to accommodate cars in a working garage. In July 1879 Kling graded the lot between his new brick saloon and Kirkland’s stone store (the Fleehart building) and built a frame store, which was evidently torn down.
5. Amador Hotel
The main entrance section was built around 1855. This section escaped the fire of 1878. In 1872, owner Harrington completed a new and commodious hall which was used as a town hall, and later as a dining room. In 1876 he nearly doubled the square footage, adding a drug store, doctor’s office and other apartments to meet demand. It was used continuously as a hotel until the 1940s, and reportedly housed ladies of the evening during some periods. It is believed to be Amador City’s oldest structure. The building has been completely renovated. Behind the Amador Hotel building is a peaceful courtyard and garden.
6. Original Amador Mine (Little Amador)
Named “original” because two early mines were “Amador Number One” and “Amador Number Two”. This and the Spring Hill Mine (across Amador Creek) were the first gold mines in Amador County. Headframe and footings of the stamp mill are still visible. It was one of the first quartz mines producing into the late 1870s. It continued to be mined until 1937.
7. Amador Schoolhouse
Front part either dates from 1857 or late 1864. Back wing dates from late 1878 to early 1879. Two large classrooms in the new part and two smaller rooms in the older front part handled 150 or more students with five teachers during peak years. A special registry kept of former students has an entry for a graduate in 1909. This building is now City Hall, the Community Center. Amador City was incorporated in 1915.
8. Knights of Pythias Hall
The local chapter of this fraternity was organized in December, 1877, the 46th lodge of the order in the state of California. The wood frame building survived the fire of 1878. Behind the old schoolhouse and the Imperial Hotel is the cemetery, which is open to the public. Access to the cemetery is via Church Street; go past the Imperial Hotel on Highway 49 and turn right on Church.